This is a lovely recipe which I learnt in England. It uses leftover mashed potatoes with some fresh ingredients to create this delight. Its fairly simple and you can modify it per your own taste. This is my version of it.
6 largish potatoes
a fat chunk of butter :)
4-5 tablespoons milk
salt to taste
2 cups of mixed veggies ( carrots, French beans, mushrooms, peas, corns...whatever takes your fancy)
1/2- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese (can use mozzarella if in dire straits)
a tablespoon of seasoning- use whatever is handy- basil/oregano/thyme/parsley or a mix
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees.
- Boil and peel the potatoes.
- Simultaneously boil the veggies. Make sure they're not too soft. Crunchy is good.
- Mash the potatoes. Add softened butter, milk and salt.
- Mix, mix and mix. Mash is done
- Add the seasoning to boiled veggies.
- Take a baking tin. Put the mash in and level it.
- Layer veggies on top of the mash.
- And finally put the cheese on top.
- Bake till cheese melts.
The pie is great when served with toasted bread and baked beans.
You can make some alterations to it. Here is a list of things you can try
- Mix the veggies in the mash instead of creating separate layers.
- Omit the veggies. It tastes great but may not be the last word on health.
- Use paneer with or instead of the veggies.
- Add a bit of chili, either in the mash or the cheese.
- Make the seasonings indian- try cumin powder or a pinch of garam masala.
- Cook the veggies in red sauce before you add them
- Add a layer of bread crumbs somewhere.
- The possibilities are endless. Experiment!